According to the manufacturer, “Orijen Adult Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is formulated to match your dog’s natural diet and rated high enough for human consumption.” Well, we don’t think we humans are going to eat dog food, but anyway, Orijen dog food reviews and the Orijen company say “It’s loaded with the protein-packed meat ingredients that Mother Nature intended all dogs to eat”.
There are currently seven Orijen Dry Dog Food products, Orijen Adult, Orijen Puppy, Orijen Senior, Orijen Tundra, Orijen Six Fish, Orijen Puppy Large, Orijen Regional Red. The main product we are reviewing in the first sections here is Orijen Adult Dog Food. Each type has features we will describe later.
It is not simple to define accurately all the different ways dog food can be formulated, but in simple terms, there is a good description in Review.com which states Good: Fish, chicken, beef, duck, liver, eggs, oats, quinoa, Omega-3, glucosamine, chondroitin (see our review), organic, vitamins C and E, sweet potatoes, peas, carrots. Bad: BHA, BHT, ethoxyquin, propylene glycol, sodium selenite, “meat”, “Meat-meal”, “by-products”, corn, wheat, soy, beet pulp, products from China and rendering plants, onions, grapes, garlic and avocados.
As you read these Orijen dog food reviews, you will get the drift that it is really good stuff quality-wise. And as such, it can be much more expensive than other dog foods. You get what you pay for!
One important feature of Orijen dog food is that it is grain-free, which basically means it does not have any wheat or barley. There are other ingredients in dog food that can supply carbs, for example, potatoes and beans. Being grain-free is important for some dogs because they are sensitive to gluten, which generally comes from wheat.
Fox example, the lowest priced dog food, which I would say is Ol Roy Dog Food, costs somewhere around 50 cents a pound, even cheaper at Walmart. Comments on Amazon are pretty nasty: “Look what you are feeding your dog!” Ratings are generally 1 star out of 5!
However Orijen dog food reviews on Amazon average around 4.5, with most being rated 5, drawn down by the people for whom the dog food is simply not right and give it one star. Finicky dogs I guess.
The Orijen dog food reviews sound generally like this: “This food really is a miracle.” “Not only is this food much healthier with high meat percentage, high fiber and low carbs, but it also seems to taste amazing.” “We have been using orijen for years now and our two dogs have never been healthier.”
Orijen dog food is sometimes more expensive, and therefore not a “best seller” on Amazon or other sites. It costs as much as $3.50 to $4 a pound, whereas other dog foods you get in the market can be less than $1. For example, Purina Dog Chow is about 75 cents a pound on average. However, the best selling dog food on Amazon (perhaps because of promotions) is Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food, Hi Prairie Canine Formula with Roasted Bison & Venison, 30-Pound Bag, at over $1 per pound.
The ingredient list of Orijen dry dog foods is shown below at the bottom of the review, but basically everything qualifies as a “Good” product, and all Orijen dog food reviews have been rated 5 stars by multiple agencies, including DogFoodAdvisor.com, Consumer Search (who selects it as their top choice).
We note that Orijen dog food reviews say “Includes free-run chicken and turkey, whole eggs, wild-caught fish and regional fruits and vegetables.” This is a completely different concept from regular dog foods, no matter what the source, and should be respected.
All ingredients are sustainably farmed or fished within Canada, arrive FRESH each day, so they’re preservative-free, never frozen and loaded with the animal proteins and fats that nourish your dog completely. Orijen benefits dogs of every breed, size and life stage. So not only are you feeding your dog well, but you are helping the planet!
Given all of that, it is true that Orijen is very popular, and virtually all top Orijen dog food reviews rate it very high.. Here are the specifications:
- 80% premium animal ingredients
- 20% fruits or vegetables
- Grain-free and carb-limited
- Infused with marine-source DHA and EPA Omega-3 Fatty Acids for good skin and coat
- Veterinarian-selected botanicals help support metabolism, cleanse toxins
- Chicory root helps the risk of worms
- Rosemary helps reduce allergies
- Pumpkin provides fiber for a healthy lower tract
- Lowers carbs than others, higher protein, correct level of fat, recommended 2:1 protein to fat
It should be fairly obvious that dog food is quite heavy, and shipping charges can be $15 or more, depending on your location. However many of these dog foods qualify for Amazon Prime, which gives you free shipping. So you click on one of our links here, you might want to check around on the shipping costs. We cannot possibly keep up with the changes.
Note: If you order from Amazon more than 10 times a year, or especially if you buy your dog food from Amazon, it does not take long to get a really good value from Amazon Prime, which costs $99. Not to mention a ton of other benefits you receive. Personally, I am a very happy member of Amazon prime!!
Reflecting our rich marine resources, and meeting your dog’s evolutionary need for abundant daily protein, we load ORIJEN 6 FISH with high ratios of salmon, herring and flounder from Vancouver’s cool Pacific Northwest waters, plus wild-caught whitefish, walleye and northern pike.
- All delivered FRESH and preservative-free, so they’re bursting with the essential proteins and fats that nourish your dog completely.
- Carbohydrate-limited and grain-free to match your dog’s natural diet
- B-vitamins and trace minerals.Veterinarian-selected botanicals
- Made with great care and pride in our award-winning factory here in Alberta, Canada.
ORIJEN delivers a symphony of cage-free chicken and turkey, nest-laid eggs, and wild-caught walleye and herring — all raised or fished within our region and delivered to our kitchens FRESH EACH DAY, so they’re brimming with goodness to perfectly nourish the growth of puppies.
- Loaded with the richly-nourishing proteins and fats that all puppies require for peak health, ORIJEN’s award-winning low-glycemic puppy food supports lean muscle mass while supplying all of the energy your puppy needs to take on his exciting world.
- Prepared from Canada’s best and freshest ingredients in our award-winning kitchens, ORIJEN is guaranteed to keep your puppy happy, healthy and strong.
- Reflecting our rich marine resources, and meeting your dog’s evolutionary need for abundant daily protein, we load ORIJEN 6 FISH with high ratios of salmon, herring and flounder from Vancouver’s cool Pacific Northwest waters, plus wild-caught whitefish, walleye and northern pike.
- Vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E Supplement, zinc proteinate, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Other Amazon reviews:
- We have been using orijen for years now and our two dogs have never been healthier. We have an 85 lb mastiff-lab mix from the spca and a 60 lb boxer-hound mix from the spca. Both are thriving on this food.
- Orijen is some of the best foods you can feed your dogs.
- Their philosophy of feeding dogs something close to the natural diet they would get if living in the wild, is exemplary, and you can see how dogs thrive on this kind of diet.
- Average rating 4.5.
- I switched to Orijen senior, and all of her health problems have disappeared. Not only is this food much healthier with high meat percentage, high fiber and low carbs, but it also seems to taste amazing
Orijen Adult Dry Dog Food is available in 12oz (Trial Size), 5lb., 15lb. and 28.6lb. bags.
Origin dog food ingredients (from DogAdvisor.com: Boneless chicken, chicken meal, chicken liver, whole herring, boneless turkey, turkey meal, turkey liver, whole eggs, boneless walleye, whole salmon, chicken heart, chicken cartilage, herring meal, salmon meal, chicken liver oil, red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-cured alfalfa, yams, pea fibre, chickpeas, pumpkin, butternut squash, spinach greens, carrots, red delicious apples, bartlett pears, cranberries, blueberries, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium, supplements: vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, selenium yeast.